Thursday, November 8, 2012

ReuseConex

At the end of October I attended the ReuseConex conference in Portland, Oregon.  It was organized by the Reuse Alliance and gathered together reusers across all the fields: creative reuse, thrift, deconstruction, multi-million reuse businesses, start-up reuse businesses, architectural salvage, etc. As I was the only one in the SCRAP DC circle able to attend I told them all I’d write about my experience and synthesize what I got out of the conference. It’s been 3 weeks and I have yet to do this. It’s not the usual excuse of being busy or being lazy. No, I haven’t done it because the significance of the 2 day conference left me with an inability to begin. How do I communicate the enormity of reuse and its implications in our society and in our lives? Because if I can sum up the conference in a nutshell, the nutshell is this: Reuse is huge and I know almost nothing about it.

So as all 20-somethings do when they have something to figure out and something to say I’m going to do a little blog series. The purpose is to explore the role of reuse in my life and in the world, to join in the greater conversation around reuse, and learn some things along the way. I don’t really do blogs so this might be a challenge, but someone recently reminded me that sharing is the way to make an impact. So I will share my explorations and hope that you share yours with me too. I'll try to keep this spicy and interesting because, seriously, the word reuse sounds kinda boring and I've already used it eleven times.

Next Up: Reuse is Sexy

1 comment:

  1. YES!! a scrapdc blog post. AND ON THE SAME DAY YOU WERE ON NPR. Cool. Can't wait for the next post!!!

    ReplyDelete