Friday, February 3, 2012

A Papermaking Adventure


The finished product! Now the question is, what special project will I use this for?

The water is all pressed out. I added dried lavender to this one.

Gruel or paper pulp?

The beginning phase


As Karen and Heather know, I've had my share of car troubles this month. One weekend while stuck at home without a car and frustrated with just about every piece of technology around me, I decided to make paper, something I hadn't done since grade school.

Sifting through the internet, I found a lot of instructions and settled on this video that gave simple steps:


I followed the directions and my paper turned out well, although the texture and weight is very cardboard-y. Expect to use a lot of dishtowels, the pulp will hold a lot of water. It was also a bit tricky to lift the screen without another set of hands, but it's doable.

Get creative and add dried flowers or herbs, confetti, essential oils, glitter, or paper scraps!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Carson! Can you point to the video you liked? I've been peeling paper backings off of fabric samples, and wetting them down first makes that easier. Now I'm half-way toward a sewing project AND making some paper, and could use some simple instructions.

    [Also, we miss you at the store but hope school's going well!]

    ReplyDelete