Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Examining "Google-y-ness"

This post was inspired by my niece Janey, turning 9 today! She recently deemed one of her creative projects to have eyes that weren't googley enough, and that got me to thinking: how do you make eyes more and less googley?

I began by revisiting techniques shown in this recent post. SCRAP-DC sells plastic bottle caps (25¢ a handful??) and sequins (10¢ a scoop??) -- ooh, even star-shaped sequins! I still have loads of the clear plastic I used previously, and I supplemented with brads, beads, and eyelets that are in my personal stash of craft supplies.


Then you might say I went a little overboard with this experiment! But what do you think of the results?

As before, the trick to getting the plastic circles to fit well into the caps is to cut imperfect circles, then rotate them for best coverage, maybe even switch which caps you put them in. Even with glue, some seemed more likely to remain intact than others, and those pink-starry ones BOTH lost their plastic covers... somewhere. It should be an easy enough fix, each and every time :^). My research continues, but this pair looked great glued to Janey's present:


Back to the original question: what makes these eyes googley, and what would make them MORE googley?? All thoughts welcome in the comments, and Happy 9th Birthday, Janey! I love you and hope it's a most fun (if not googley) day!!

This post written by AUNT Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment